Misconceptions about car airbags
18 March, 2023
A car airbag is an additional collision restraint system that protects the driver and passengers. Airbags are installed hidden in some locations inside the vehicle. In the event of a collision, the airbag will immediately inflate to protect the driver and passengers.
1. Structure of the airbag
The structure of the
car airbag includes:
– Sensor system such
as: weight sensor (installed in the seat), collision sensor, speed sensor,
– Detonation unit
– Airbag (usually made of composite fiber)
2. Working principle of airbag
If the collision exceeds the specified value, the ECU will transmit a signal allowing the airbag detonator to operate. At this time, the fuse will be ignited, creating a large amount of gas that inflates the airbag.
Immediately after inflating, the air in the airbag will immediately escape through the rear exhaust holes, causing the airbag to inflate itself quickly. This helps reduce the force exerted on the airbag, and at the same time makes it easier for the driver to see ahead and move to exit the vehicle.
3. Types of airbags in cars
Có nhiều loại túi khí
được bố trí ở nhiều vị trí khác nhau trên xe ô tô như:
There are many types of airbags that are arranged in many different
locations on cars such as:
– Front Airbag: This is the most common type of airbag. This airbag is responsible for protecting the head and chest of occupants in a head-on collision.
– Side airbags (hips, curtains): This airbag is responsible for protecting the head and chest level of the occupants in the event of a side impact. The side airbags are activated when subjected to impact from the sides of the vehicle or when the temperature in the vehicle reaches a threshold of over 150 degrees Celsius (in the case of self-destruction of the airbag when the vehicle is on fire).
– Knee airbag: This airbag is responsible for protecting the occupants’ knee in the event of a head-on collision.
– Ceiling Airbag: This airbag is responsible for protecting the head of occupants.
4. Misconceptions about car airbags
– With airbags, no need to fasten seat belts
Airbags and seat belts are two independent components, based on different parameters for passenger protection, and are not interchangeable. In addition, airbags are also considered as equipment to improve the effectiveness of seat belts.
– Airbags deploy only when seat belts are fastened
An airbag deploys has
nothing to do with whether you are wearing a seat belt or not. When a collision occurs, the sensor will be responsible for updating
information about speed, impact level … from which the ECU will decide to
activate the airbag or not.
– Every car has an airbag
If in many countries, airbags are mandatory safety equipment on cars, but in some countries, including Vietnam, this regulation has not been applied. Therefore, there are still some low-priced car models, especially the service version… that are not equipped with airbags.
Old cars do not have air bags
– In the event of a collision, the airbag will deploy
With many cases of
cars crashing but the bags do not inflate, many people believe that the car has
a faulty airbag. However, that is not the case because the airbag only deploys
when the sensor detects that the vehicle’s stopping acceleration is large enough
(usually 2G or more). In cases less than 2G, the car does not have to stop too
suddenly, the airbag will not deploy because at this time, the seat belt is
strong enough to protect the occupants.
– Front airbags are safe for children
Some studies show that young children are the most vulnerable to airbag injuries due to high force of deployment. If your child is sitting in the front seat, you should pull the seat back slightly. Except in cases of force majeure, it is best to let young children sit in the back seat.
You should let young children sit in the back seat
– The dust released when the airbag deploys is very toxic
When the airbag
deploys, there will be a loud explosion accompanied by smoke and dust. This
smog is a mixture of nitrogen gas and fine dust that is blown in to activate
the inflated air bags, and they are not harmful to health.